- Norman Abeles
Norman Abeles (1033)
- Clinical neuropsychology, clinical psychology, counselling psychology, psychotherapy, psychology and law
- 1928, Vienna, Austria
- Short Biography
Norman Abeles (born April 15, 1928) is an Austrian-born psychologist. He is a university professor and a former president of the American Psychological Association.
More at Wikipedia
- BA New York University, 1949
- MA University of Texas, 1952
- PhD University of Texas, 1958
- Appointments & Honors
- Fulbright Professor, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1968-9
- Professor of Psychology, Michigan State University, 1968-
- Fellow, APA Divisions 8, 12, 17, 29, 31, 39, 40
- President, Michigan Psychological Association, 1971-2
- Fellow, APA, 1973-
- Distinguished Psychologist Award, Michigan Psychological Association, 1974
- Trustee, American Board of Professional Psychology, 1975-8
- Editorial Board, Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 1975-
- Editor, Academic Psychology Bulletin, 1978-82
- Director, Psychological Clinic, 1978-
- Consulting Editor, Journal of Professional Psychology, 1979-82, 1989-
- Recording Secretary, APA, 1980-6
- Editor, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 1983-8
- Consulting Editor, Journal of Personality Assessment, 1988-
- President, APA Division 12 (Clinical psychology), APA Division 29 (Psychotherapy), 1990
- Consulting Editor, Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 1994-
- Principal Publications
- 1967 Liking for clients: Its relationship to therapist's personality: Unexpected findings. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 4, 19-21.
- 1971 The relationship of liking, empathy and therapist's experience to outcome in therapy. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 18, 39-43.
- 1975 Client therapist complementarity and therapeutic outcome. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 22, 264-72.
- 1979 Psychodynamic theory. In H. Burks and B. Stefflre (eds), Counseling Theory. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- 1980 Teaching ethical principles by means of value confrontations. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research 'and Practice, 7, 384-91.
- 1984 Congruence of perception on client symptoms and post therapy outcome. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 15, 846-55.
- 1986 Clients' pretherapy interpersonal attitudes and psychotherapy outcome. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 17, 217-22.
- 1988 Therapeutic alliance and outcome: Impact of treatment length and pretreatment symptomatology. Psychotherapy, 25, 536-542 (with T. Eaton and J. Gutfreund).
- 1993 Negative indicators, therapeutic alliance and therapy outcome. Psychotherapy Research, 3, 115-23 (with D. M. Rubin and R. T. Muller).
- 1994 Ethical issues and dilemmas in the mental health organization. Administration and Policy in Mental Health, 22, 7-17 (with B. Clark).